[Ads-l] Alligator Bait

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 19 02:11:13 UTC 2020

As always, way off but, at least British, in Terry Pratchett’s Tiffany
Aching book “The Wee Free Men” Tiffany uses her (“always sticky”) little
brother, Wentworth, as bait for a river creature (“Jenny Green-teeth”) by
leashing him to a post riverside and wait, armed with an iron frying pan,
for the monster to appear.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/children/2017/the-wee-free-men-extract-by-terry-pratchett/

Ah, actually she just ties a bag of sweets to a stake and Wentworth latches
on to those of his own free will.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 5:30 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://www.yahoo.com/sports/florida-will-no-longer-use-gator-bait-cheer-due-to-its-horrific-racist-imagery-182106196.html
>

> JL
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:55 PM ADSGarson O'Toole <
> adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yet another very impressive article. Great work, Peter. Thanks for
> sharing.
> > Garson
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > There is an old racist slur, "alligator bait," used to refer to black
> > > people, especially black children.
> > >
> > > There are numerous memes and articles that get circulated around the
> > > internet suggesting that the expression was derived from the actual
> > > practice of using children as bait in hunting alligators; placing them
> > > in shallow water, or sometimes tying them to a post or tree, luring the
> > > alligators in close, and then shooting them in the eye at the last
> > > possible second.

> --

Andy Bach
Afbach at gmail.com