[Ads-l] FW: SF antedatings

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Jun 19 16:00:42 UTC 2020

From: MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA)
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2020 11:00 AM
To: James Landau
Subject: Re: SF antedatings

>> On  Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:47:58 Zond +0000  Bill Mullins <amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>> <snip> Franken-, comb. form>OED has 1992, not in OED SF Project
>
> If memory serves, "Frankenslime" (referring to a biological product (algae? fungus?) that went wrong) was called a
> "Frankenslime" in James Blish's 1967 story "A Torrent of Faces".
> I was  not able to find out if the 1967 date was for the appearance of "A Torrent of Faces" in Analog magazine or for
> the novelization under the same title.

ISFDB shows 1967 for the book form of the novel.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?7

The novel is on Internet Archive, and "Frankenslime" shows up in Chapter 6.  ISFDB says that Chap 6 originally appeared as "To Love Another" in Analog, Apr 1967 in abridged form. The quote also appears there (presumably, first).

1967 _Analog_ Apr 23/2
"One of the lab men said that we have a Frankenslime to deal with."

1967 James Blish _A Torrent of Faces_ Doubleday: Garden City, NY. p. 120
"One of the lab men said that we have a Frankenslime to deal with."