[Ads-l] A new idiom: "get hyperthyroid about" = 'get hyper-excited about', 'get hyped up about'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 26 00:35:43 UTC 2020

John Bolton, interviewed tonight by Judy Woodruff on The PBS NewsHour, who asks him what lengths President Trump might go to in order to make sure he’s re-elected, given that he’s currently trailing in polls by double digits:

“Look, first off, I don’t believe these polls…Famously, in 2016, let’s just say it again so everyone remembers it, Hillary Clinton was substantially ahead, and she lost, because we don’t have a popular vote system, we have an electoral college. So before anyone gets hyperthyroid about what Trump may or may not do, just remember, I think this election is still a coin toss.”

Yup, hyperthyroid.  And if you’re wondering, Google informs us that the number of hits for the string “get hyperthyroid about” is “about zero”, which it illustrates.  Act quickly, though—this may change.

LH