[Ads-l] A new idiom: "get hyperthyroid about" = 'get hyper-excited about', 'get hyped up about'

Virginia Euwer Wolff veuwerwolff at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 26 13:55:50 UTC 2020

Ah, but “hyperthyroid” was making limited rounds in the 1980s, possibly earlier. I remember reading a literary critic who used the term “hyperthyroid prose” in a particularly stinging book review. I can’t recall the critic, the book, or the date. But I remember it the way we remember a vaccination. I wasn’t entirely surprised to hear John Bolton use it last evening.

Sincerely,
Virginia Euwer Wolff