[Ads-l] Antedating of "Triple" (Baseball)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sun Mar 22 22:03:23 UTC 2020

_Cincinnati Enquirer_ 5 Jul 1879 p 2 col 7  (Newspapers.com)
"It was generally expected that the Providence would win by hard and effective hitting, but Galvin was at
his best, and proved too much for all, but Hines and Wright, the former especially who secured one
triple and two doubles."

Chicago Tribune 29 Jul 1879 p 5 col 1 (Newspapers.com)
"He and Clapp tallied next on two singles and a triple."

_Cincinnati Enquirer_ 15 May 1881 p 7 col 3 (Newspapers.com)
"The visitors jumped into the lead in the fifth inning, securing five runs on three singles, a double,
a triple, and Purcell's muffs."

I saw it used in 1875 in an article about cricket, but don't know if it had the same meaning.