[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Ghost Town

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sun May 3 21:24:51 UTC 2020

But note also the mention of "Spookville" being haunted.  I saw several citations of that era where "Ghost Town" meant "town with ghosts".

This is not to say that such a meaning wasn't part of the development of the "unoccupied" sense of "ghost town"; just that I wasn't sure that this particular cite was an antedating, so I chose not to include it.  YMMV.
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 4:16 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Ghost Town

----

Bill Mullins  wrote:
> I saw that quote, and did not use it because I wasn't sure if it meant
> "deserted town", as we use the phrase "ghost town", or a town literally
> associated with ghosts (and I did find several examples of "ghost town"
> where it was clear that "association with ghosts" was the intended meaning).

I think it is a valuable citation because it may show the evolution of
the label "ghost town". The town is abandoned, and it is also
associated with ghosts.  The connection to ghosts stems from the
spiritualist founders and also from the singing hermit.

Spiritualists are associated with ghosts, but the article states that
the abandoned town is 'now known as "Spookville"'. The article does
not state that the town was known as "Spookville" when the
spiritualists were actually present. That suggests to me that the
abandonment of the town is pertinent to the meaning of "Spookville"
and "ghost town".

Garson