[Ads-l] Ghost Town

Mon May 4 03:22:39 UTC 2020

Bill Mullins wrote:
> I saw that quote, and did not use it because I wasn't sure
> if it meant "deserted town", as we use the phrase "ghost town",
> or a town literally associated with ghosts (and I did find several
> examples of "ghost town" where it was clear that "association
> with ghosts" was the intended meaning).

Excellent point, Bill. The OED and other dictionaries may be unwilling
to accept the 1894 citation.

The bracketed citation for "ghost town" in the OED is intriguing. The
town itself is ghostly.

[Begin excerpt]
[1875   Cincinnati Enquirer 2 July 5/1   The deserted mining towns,
like the ghosts of their departed prosperity.]
[End excerpt]

An early citation containing a deserted town labeled a "ghost town"
because of a spectral presence would be entertaining I think. Perhaps
you might share a citation - if you wish. Citations of this type would
illustrate one conjectural transitional path to the modern sense of
"ghost town".

Garson