[Ads-l] "Boner" as sexual term versus word for 'big mistake' or 'funny goof-up' =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=93_?=post-1951?

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 10 21:03:57 UTC 2020

1. DD cites a use by Stephen Hawking in “Big Bang Theory” on the ADS list (http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-May/119223.html <http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-May/119223.html>).

The episode aired in 2012. Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hawking_Excitation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hawking_Excitation>) specifically mentions this:

###
Oliver Sava of The A.V. Club gave the episode a B–. Sava complimented Hawking's line, "it was quite a boner", calling it "the big pay-off of the story" and enjoyed the scene with Bernadette.
###
###

2. I recall being confused by this term in “The Hobbit” (the troll song), but since I don’t enjoy poetry, I didn’t dwell on it. Since the book is now a movie without the song, children will be less likely to stumble on it.

3. HDAS has a citation saying that “boner” was a common term for an erect penis in the 1950s.

4. The UD (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pull%20a%20boner <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pull%20a%20boner>) cites eigozai.com <http://eigozai.com/>, which is no longer up. I tried finding the original citation on the Wayback Machine but didn’t find it.

###
The expression "to pull a boner" comes from the old American minstrel shows. There was a man in these shows who was called Mr. Bones because he carried two small sticks of bone that he used as an instrument. He was asked questions by one of the other men in the show, just to get stupid but funny answers. This became known as "pulling boners." But in time, the expression, "to pull a boner," meant something more than getting an answer to make you laugh. It meant a bad blunder a mistake that was costly. And a man who pulled such boners was often described as a "bonehead.”
###
###

This sounds like a folk etymology to me.

The OED says that the blunder meaning comes from North American sports < bonehead < bonehead play. Its earliest citation for penis erection is 1936:

###
1936   Psychoanalytic Rev. 23 72   In his dream he had a feeling that he was ‘pulling a boner’.
###
###

For the etymology of the penis erection meaning, the OED says “apparently with allusion to _to pull a boner_”.

Surely the similarity of an erect penis and a bone in terms of stiffness must be involved here as well.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA