[Ads-l] "trikini" as WOTY candidate

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 19 14:18:17 UTC 2020

OK, I withdraw the "brand-new" comment.  Nothing entirely new under the
summer sun, it appears--although we can still quibble over whether the new
trikini, by virtue of the matching mask of the same fabric, represents a
new sense of the technical term or merely a new use, depending on the
specificity of the original entry. If we go with "Any of various designs of
ladies’ swimsuit which consist of three main areas of fabric", the new
version is indeed just a new use of the original (although requiring a
rather different design than the one described in the OED's
parenthetical).  A remaining question is whether the monokini (item and
name) dates to 1964 (as in the wiki-entry) or 1967 (as above).

LH