[Ads-l] "trikini" as WOTY candidate

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 19 18:05:48 UTC 2020

Seems to be a new and unaware coinage, not a bending of the original
sense.  "Trikini" has long meant a bikini bottom (minuscule or proper) with
pasties of one size or another (sometimes full-cup size, sometimes just
nipple hats).  I encountered that sense in the early '80s more than once,
in *Playboy* and other nudie mags, and maybe the annual *Sports Illustrated*
Swimsuit Issue. Junior high and high school boys, as I was then, traded
purloined-from-dads-and-uncles issues of such magazines like precious
artifacts, back in the pre-Internet days.

Other forms of three-piece ladies' swimwear have been around since the
concept was invented; the earliest, in the late Victorian era, seemed to
consist of a top, some capris-style pants and a skirt; much later, a common
combo has been a bikini and a matching asymmetrical skirt-scarf-thing that
covers the backside or one hip. I've never seen these referred to as
trikinis, so I don't think "any of various designs of ladies’ swimsuit
which consist of three main areas of fabric" is a viable definition.
Rather, we have a decades-old pasties+bottom definition, and a
protologism for bikini+mask.