[Ads-l] Albany

jim mcmurtry 00000e551e9318c8-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Nov 6 20:57:06 UTC 2020

That is the local pronunciation in Ga. as well as AL Benny

    On Friday, November 6, 2020, 03:19:34 PM EST, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Some years ago I may or may not have mentioned the time my grandmother told
me that, in her youth, Albany, N.Y., was pronounced Awl-BAY-nee.  I found
it hard to believe.

So you could have knocked me over with a feather when I just heard a
Georgia election official pronounce Albany, Ga., in exactly that way.
(Obviously old news to some here.)

I doubt that my grandmother (b. 1888 in Manhattan) ever heard of Albany, Ga.

So what happened in upstate NY?

JL