[Ads-l] antedating "cloud nine" "cloud seven"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 12 20:30:55 UTC 2020

The 1936 cite is confirmed on Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/sim_electrical-west_1936-12_77_6/page/25/mode/1up
Electrical West, Dec. 1936 (Vol. 77, Issue 6), p. 25, col. 3

I see that was previously discovered by a contributor to this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/etymology/comments/2usyme/on_cloud_nine/

...who also found an even earlier antedating:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-vcEAQAAIAAJ
_Ceiling Zero: a play in three acts_, by Frank Wead, copyright 1934.
"Mike doesn't know what it's all about. He's in Cloud Nine or ginned up
most of the time."

The Reddit contributor ("gnorrn") says: "This play was made into a 1936
movie of the same name, which could have helped popularize the phrase."