[Ads-l] Finally, the other group gets it right.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 22 16:15:11 UTC 2020

Remember, though, it’s not that those of us on our side of the isogloss can’t say/write “fuck over X” (for non-pronominal X), it’s that the verb-particle-object order is also possible and, especially with “light” and non-focused objects somewhat more likely (as it would be with “fuck/look X up” vs. “fuck/look up X”).  So it took me awhile, and a look at the actual (accurate but depressing) content of the Vanity Fair piece, to realize you were referring to the word order, which is only mildly marked for me in this context.  If it had been “fuck over him”, it would have been impossible (with the relevant figurative meaning), while if it had been “fuck over Joe Biden and all the Democrats” it would have been unexceptionable.

LH