[Ads-l] Finally, the other group gets it right.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 27 09:55:45 UTC 2020

> the word order ... is only mildly marked for me in this context.

It's *totally* marked for me, so that the "standard" word-order, "fuck NP
over," that's been around, in my experience, since ca. 1969, is
got-dammit-what-in-the-hell-is-the-matter-with-you? WRONG! It was blessed
relief to see, at long last, the proper word-order used in a "standard"
publication, and in a headline, at that! The structure, “fuck over him,” is
also perfectly okay, for me.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Remember, though, it’s not that those of us on our side of the isogloss
> can’t say/write “fuck over X” (for non-pronominal X), it’s that the
> verb-particle-object order is also possible and, especially with “light”
> and non-focused objects somewhat more likely (as it would be with
> “fuck/look X up” vs. “fuck/look up X”).  So it took me awhile, and a look
> at the actual (accurate but depressing) content of the Vanity Fair piece,
> to realize you were referring to the word order, which is only mildly
> marked for me in this context.  If it had been “fuck over him”, it would
> have been impossible (with the relevant figurative meaning), while if it
> had been “fuck over Joe Biden and all the Democrats” it would have been
> unexceptionable.
>
> LH
>
> > On Nov 22, 2020, at 1:57 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> >
> > STEVEN MNUCHIN SWEARS HE’S NOT TANKING THE ECONOMY JUST TO    _F[UC]K
> OVER_
> > JOE BIDEN
> > https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/11/steven-mnuchin-joe-biden-economy
> >

> > --
> > - Wilson
> > -----
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > -Mark Twain

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain