[Ads-l] Slang: Create a new posterior orifice metaphorically

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 2 19:53:13 UTC 2020

My own sense is that the metaphorical + elliptical expression, "tear X a
new one", has been gaining ground on the full version for some time,
presumably because the audience would now be assumed to be familiar with
the latter (while the elliptical form is more elegant/printable).  Google
ngrams bear out this intuition, as seen from "tear him a new one" vs. "tear
him a new asshole", *https://tinyurl.com/yxuorwp6
<https://tinyurl.com/yxuorwp6>.  *Note how the latter is marginally ahead
of the former, both fairly low in attestations, into the turn of the
century, when the former (elliptical) version really takes off.  Of course
the fact that it's google books would skew the results toward the more
readily printable, but it's the change in usage (as well as the sharp angle
of the spike) that I'm focusing on. And "tear them a new one|asshole"
yields similar ngrams.

LH