[Ads-l] Nine Yards again

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Sep 28 13:58:18 UTC 2020

The sari nine-yard hypothesis has been discussed on this list and elsewhere, without, if I recall correctly, any "whole nine yards" saris attested nearly as early as US examples found by Bonnie Taylor-Blake and others.
Whether the "yards" in the collocation refer to cloth measures or another meaning of "yards" I leave aside for now, other than to say other potential meanings have been noted on the list, such as reciting yards of poetry, and others.

Stephen G.
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2020 9:38 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Nine Yards again

I have a Facebook (and very occasionally live) friend who is Indian.
Recently she posted a video on her FB page of a young woman dancing in a sari using
something like a hula hoop as an accessory, The original post says:

'Just loved her , love her free flowing uninhibited dance,
the ease of her movements in a saree and the fabulous
versatility of this beautiful six yard garment'

And I wondered about the 'six-yard' comment, so I asked my friend
If there were something special about 'six yards' and saris, and her answer was 'all
saris are made with six yards of fabric.' Apparently this is completely standard
and known to all sari-wearers (my friend Shikha admits to having over 50)

So I went looking and it turns out the six-yards is a thing with saris. There are all
sorts of websites selling saris that have 'six yards' in their names:
sixyards.co, https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://6yardsplus.com/__;!!OToaGQ!6AyFyOjSE6sIZfPdMlF5bFUMfnksIUEhK_c2Z7yu0vogGRHbIRl89QmHBElaZouC$ , etc.

There is also an expression 'six yards of pure grace, which' gives lots of
hits on Google, including poems about saris.

It is hard to tell how old this is, but I suggest that this association is not unrelated
to the American one, but I don't have the resources to try to track this down.

I have promised my friend Shikha (who is a journalist, FWIW) I'd report on my
Investigations. So here you go. Have at it, folks.

Geoff

PS: Original dance is here:

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/__;!!OToaGQ!6AyFyOjSE6sIZfPdMlF5bFUMfnksIUEhK_c2Z7yu0vogGRHbIRl89QmHBJ0-3VW5$
geoffnathan at wayne.edu