[Ads-l] "Who was Kilroy?" June 26, 1945 (in-print antedating?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 16:07:43 UTC 2021

Replying to a reader's letter concerning "Mr. Chad" as a British figure,
LIFE (Apr. 8, 1946), p. 6, notes that

"Other LIFE readers insisted that Mr. Chad was an imposter really named
Smoe, Kilroy, Luke the Spook, The Womp, Finortin, Fanutin, Phenortin, The
Pookie, Garvey, Alice the Goon, Oogots, Snoopie, Curley, Joe Electron."

Alice the Goon, of course, was from Popeye, and "The Pookie" may
conceivably be from "pooka."

JL