[Ads-l] "Who was Kilroy?" June 26, 1945 (in-print antedating?)

Thu Apr 1 17:50:40 UTC 2021

Here are excerpts from three articles published in "The Daily Mirror"
of London. The first two articles (from September 1945) presented some
of the variant names for Mr. Chad that were circulating in the U.K.

The third article (from January 1946) traced the "Mr. Chad" figure to
the cartoonist Jack Greenall. The figure was unnamed initially. It is
still not clear (to me) when the figure was given a name.

Date: September 10, 1945
Newspaper: The Daily Mirror
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: How Mr. CHAD was born
Quote Page 7, Column 3 to 6
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
About two years ago there was a minor sensation because it looked as
if a rival to Chad was in the field. This was a similar—but
inferior—specimen called "Mr. Choss." He hailed from the North of
England, and had gremlin-like propensities for making everything go
wrong.

But he vanished in the chaos from which his name was derived, and the
more restrained and dignified Chad survived alone
. . .
By the way, a bitter controversy rages between the RAF and the Army on
the subject of Mr. Chad's  nickname, which is "Flywheel." The RAF
claim that, long before he joined the Army, Chad and his sister
"Pinwheel" were in the Air Force.
[End excerpt]