[Ads-l] "Brouhaha" (in English usage; antedating to 1819)

Wed Apr 7 19:10:18 UTC 2021

Bonnie clearly stated that she 'omitted texts that are clearly (or
likely) just translations from French into English, with "brouhaha" as
an untranslatable word'. The instance below seems to fit into the
group Bonnie has omitted from her excellent collection of citations.

Yet, here is a question for dictionary makers. Does the citation below
qualify as an instance of "brouhaha" in English or French?

Date: 1797
Title: The Adventures of Gil Blas of Santillane: A New Translation, by
the Author of Roderick Random
Volume 4 of 4
Chapter V
Quote Page 36

https://books.google.com/books?id=oaQtAAAAMAAJ&q=brouhaha#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
In this part of our conversation, the actors appeared; and we left off
speaking immediately, in order to listen with attention. The applauses
began with the prologue; every verse was attended with a brouhaha*!
and at the end of each act, there was such a clapping of hands, that
one would have thought the house was falling.

* Brouhaha!  a note of applause.
[End excerpt]

Garson