[Ads-l] "Brouhaha" (in English usage; antedating to 1819)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 10 19:29:05 UTC 2021

Garson asks a great question below, one that I had also wondered about in
compiling some of this on "brouhaha." (Thanks for this message, Garson.)

He has shared something (below) I had seen as well, a translation (into
English) of the original _L'Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane_.

As he rightly mentions, "brouhaha" within this English translation remains
as "brouhaha" (no quotation marks, but italicized) and is footnoted with
the explanation "Brouhaha!  a note of applause." (In collecting data
earlier, I had restricted myself to English-language texts written in the
original English that also happened to include French phrases/words as part
of the [English] text. All appearances of "brouhaha" in my original message
were in italics.)

Would someone be able to help us with this issue? If a foreign word appears
in an English translation of a text, without the word in question's
translation into English (and without the word's seeming prior acceptance
into English), how do lexicographers treat this? (I think Garson explains
this better than I have.)

And a belated thank-you to Pete Morris for locating a usage of "brouhaha"
in an English text published in 1810:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2021-April/159591.html.

-- Bonnie

Bonnie clearly stated that she 'omitted texts that are clearly (or