[Ads-l] "Ride the lightning" = tase

Mon Apr 12 18:22:50 UTC 2021

While searching I discovered that many horses were named "Lightning".

Here is some more information about the "electric chair" and "taser"
senses of the phrase.

JL's superlative "Random House Historical Dictionary of American
Slang, Volume 2: H to O" has an entry for "ride the lightning" on page
433. The first citation is dated 1935.

The impressive"Green’s Dictionary of Slang" (GDOS) has pertinent data:
https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/2fo4pwy#eh4wema

[Begin excerpt]
ride the lightning (v.)
1. (US) to be executed in the electric chair.
    1925 [US] Black Mask Aug. III 61: You’ll ride for his murder
    1933 [US] C. Himes ‘His Last Day’ in Coll. Stories (1990) 292: He
[...] had returned in less than a year after his release to ride the
lightning in the hot-squat.

2. to be given a course of electro-convulsive therapy (ECT).
    2012 [UK] D. O’Donnell Locked Ward (2013) 87: Dr Bankstreet
decided to try ECT [...] riding the lightning, as we call it.
[End excerpt]

The 1925 citation supplied by GDOS does not contain the full phrase.

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry with a 1932 citation for
the pertinent sense as noted by Bonnie:

[Begin excerpt]
ride, v.
Phrases P3. With reference to punishment.
d. U.S. slang to ride the lightning: to be executed in the electric chair.
1932   C. Himes His Last Day in Abbott's Monthly Nov. 33/1   Death row
at Big Meadows where he had..returned in less than a year after his
release to ride the lightning in the hot-squat.
[End excerpt]

Here is a 1931 citation for the "electric chair" sense.