[Ads-l] "Ride the lightning" = tase

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 24 22:15:27 UTC 2021

Great work, G.

Cf.:

1827 _Fayetteville [N.C.] Weekly Observer_  (Dec. 27) 3:  I can ride upon a
streak of lightning, whip my weight in wildcats, and if any gentleman
chooses for a twenty dollar bill he may throw in a panther.

1829 _The Ariel : A Literary Gazette_ (Feb. 7) 167 : Davy [Crockett]
assured his companions that he could wade the Mississippi with a steam-boat
on his back, whip his weight in wildcats, and "ride a streak of lightning
bare-backed."

1851  Henry B. Maglathlin, ed. _The National Speaker_ (7th ed.) 289
(Boston: R.S. Davies):  _Edgar._ Can you ride a streak of lightning,
bareback?  _Jona._ I can, when the bridle is on.

1910 Alan Lomax _Cowboy Songs_ (N.Y.: Sturgis) 310: I rope a streak of
lightning, and ride it where I please.

And also cf. Addison's (once) famous, Zeusy characterization of the Duke of
Marlborough at Blenheim:

     Calm and serene, he drives the furious blast;

     And, pleas’d th’ Almighty's orders to perform,

     Rides in the whirlwind, and directs the storm.

JL