[Ads-l] television ads for SALES

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 31 15:56:03 UTC 2021

Not sure how relevant it is, but Donovan recorded "Sunny Goodge Street" in
September 1965, just a couple of months after the release of the Beatles
movie "Help!" -- wherein the lads are terrorized by an Indian cult
worshiping the goddess "Kaili." That's a thinly veiled reference to Kali
and Western stereotypes about the Thuggee cult.

https://blog.oup.com/2010/07/beatles-orientalism/

A few years later, when they all traveled to the Maharishi's ashram in
Rishikesh, Donovan and the Beatles developed a more nuanced take on Indian
spirituality.

--bgz