[Ads-l] The cavalry arrives in the nick of time.

Wed Dec 1 22:13:45 UTC 2021

Interesting phrase, JL. In 1885 "cavalry is shown as coming up in the
nick of time".

[ref] 1885 October, The Army and Navy Quarterly, Volume 1, Number 4,
The Functions of Cavalry in Modern War by Major Graves, Twentieth
Hussars, Part 2, (Read before the Royal United Service Institution),
Start Page 405, Quote Page 408, L. R. Hamersly & Co., Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania. (Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=rfXNAAAAMAAJ&q=%22nick+of%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The action of Tamai affords an example in which cavalry is shown as
coming up in the nick of time, dismounting, firing, and thus checking
the enemy's advance, gave our infantry time to re-form.
[End excerpt]

Garson