[Ads-l] the birds and the bees

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 20 16:39:29 UTC 2021

Bees pollinate flowers (it's what they do), but few birds pollinate. In
North America, only hummingbirds practice ornithophily. (Not as kinky as it
sounds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithophily
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornithophily> .)

Pre-1936 exx. use the phrase as nearly synonymous with "idle talk of
romantic love."  Hence the familiar metaphor for "sex."

1927 Beaumont [Tex.] Journal (Aug. 13) 4: Regularly...in the
afternoon...they used to walk out together toward the prairies, talking
about the birds and the bees and the fresh green things - oh, what do folks
similarly circumstanced talk about?

1928 Washington [D.C.] Star (Gravure Section) unp.:  Men Women Trust...One
of those 10 to 15 per cent stock investment boys talking about the birds
and the bees and the flowers to one of those little widows who, for no
reason at all, save intuition, is about to entrust her savings to his
tender care.

Had the sexual meaning been widely known at the time, I doubt that these
papers would have used the phrase in this innocuous sense.

JL