[Ads-l] pull(ing) (off) a PN (Ty Cobb) stunt

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Feb 15 12:36:06 UTC 2021

On 2/12/21 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> STRETCHERS. Narrow pieces of wood placed athwart the bottom of a
> boat for the rowers to place their feet against that they may
> communicate greater effort to their oars. Also, cross-pieces placed
> between a boat's sides to keep them apart when hoisted up and gripped.
> Colloquially, a stretcher means a lie exaggerated to absurdity.

I apologize for following up tardily:

As a modern speaker, I'm familiar with "stretcher" only in the context
of sliding-seat rowing. Was this in the context of fixed-seat rowing? Or
is it impossible to determine?

---Amy West