[Ads-l] Quote: The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it

Fri Jul 16 18:03:19 UTC 2021

After I tweeted about the quotation attributed to John Gilmore. There
was a response by Howard Rheingold who stated that Gilmore "later
denied being the source". Here is the twitter thread.

Tweet from: Quote Investigator @QuoteResearch
Timestamp: 5:20 PM · Jul 12, 2021
[Begin excerpt]
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it
Howard Rheingold? John Gilmore? Michael Sattler? Philip Elmer-DeWitt? Anonymous?
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/07/12/censor/
[End excerpt]

Tweet from: (((Howard Rheingold))) @hrheingold
Timestamp: 3:47 PM · Jul 15, 2021
https://twitter.com/hrheingold/status/1415759962236542979
Replying to @QuoteResearch
[Begin excerpt]
I quoted Gilmore, but he later denied being the source.
[End excerpt]

Tweet from: Quote Investigator @QuoteResearch
Timestamp: 5:04 PM · Jul 15, 2021
Replying to @hrheingold
[Begin excerpt]
Howard Rheingold, Thanks for your comment
I think John Gilmore controls toad.com and the quote is now listed
under "Things I've Said (That People Sometimes Remember)"
http://toad.com/gnu/
[End excerpt]

Tweet from: (((Howard Rheingold))) @hrheingold
Timestamp: 5:15 PM · Jul 15, 2021
Replying to @QuoteResearch
[Begin excerpt]
Yes, that's his domain.
[End excerpt]

Tweet from: Quote Investigator® @QuoteResearch
Timestamp: 5:05 PM · Jul 15, 2021
Replying to @hrheingold
[Begin excerpt]
Howard Rheingold, Do you have a citation for John Gilmore disclaiming
the quotation?
[End excerpt]

Tweet from: (((Howard Rheingold))) @hrheingold
Timestamp: 5:14 PM · Jul 15, 2021