[Ads-l] "short-bus people"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 20 14:04:50 UTC 2021

I wonder if this “short dog” for ‘short bus’ is related to “riding the dog” for taking the Greyhound (or by extension another long-distance bus.  I wonder how old that is; I looked for “dog” = ‘(Greyhound) bus’ in Jon’s extensive (three-page) entry for “dog”, which has lemmas for everything from penises and D grades and of course homely or lazy people, to worthless horses and venereal diseases, but didn’t see any relevant glosses, but I might have missed the bus.

As far as my own familiarity—like Jon, elementary school in NYC in the ‘50s and no familiarity with the expression until I read reviews of the aforementioned movie “Shortbus” came out that explained the reference.

LH