[Ads-l] background of a quote

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 1 17:28:06 UTC 2021

The earliest I had found when I raised the question was

https://archive.org/details/spacecitynews01spac_7/page/17/mode/1up?q=%22times+of+no+dope%22

(Space City News, 10/1969) which includes a partial reprint of the comix version ("Grass will carry you  . . . "), and an interview with Gilbert Shelton in which he states the "Dope will get you . . . " version (which he says get got from a third party in Austin).

This:

https://archive.org/details/tales-from-the-ozone-001-1969-c-2c-pyramid/page/n17/mode/1up?q=%22times+of+no+grass%22

may be the original -- Tales from the Ozone​, which includes the Freak Brothers cartoon with the "Grass will carry you . . . " version.  Like many underground comix, there is no publisher's indicia with publication date.  However, the back cover carries ads for concerts in Detroit Michigan which occurred in early Apr. 1969 (confirmed in newspapers.com), so presumably the comic is no later than Mar 1969.

----

Here are two slightly earlier citations for the "dope" version of the
quotation. "The Great Speckled Bird" underground newspaper reprinted a
single panel from a comic (not the full comic). To me it looks like
the panel is from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. The panel has a
word balloon containing the quotation. Bill suggested this comic was
the origin. The second citation below gives the precise title of one
of the comics containing the quotation (although it might appear in an
earlier comic).

Date: May 26, 1969
Periodical; The Great Speckled Bird
Volume 2, Number 11
Quote Page 10,
Database: JSTOR
Caution-https://www.jstor.org/stable/community.28037611

[Begin excerpt]
... WE HAVE PLENTY OF GRASS AND AS WE ALL KNOW, DOPE WILL GET YOU
THROUGH TIMES OF NO MONEY BETTER THAN MONEY WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES
OF NO DOPE!
[End excerpt]

An article in "The East Village Other" described the contents of a
comic titled "Those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers Pull A Heist" which
apparently included a panel with the target quotation. This instance
used the variant spelling "thru" for "through".