[Ads-l] _Smile_ (was Why not cut your stick? 1813)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 4 18:52:44 UTC 2021

In one of his works, Tom Sawyer Abroad, Twain wrote that Tom "smole a smile
..." When I was a pre-teen, this use of the non-word, _smole_, instead of
the expected "smiled," struck as one the funniest instances of word-play in
the English language, far superior to the use of the banal non-word,
_snuck_ in place of "sneaked."
However, in reading Stephen's cite - to paraphrase the old song, Soul Man,
"When I start reading, I just can't stop!" - I came across,
"... but on her, our sweetie Willie _smole_. (smiled.)"
Feet of clay. Oh, well.

--
- Wilson
-----