[Ads-l] "In-Wall"

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 21 20:59:51 UTC 2021

Even with basic electrical stuff, there's in-wall and on-wall.  In-wall
(recessed) outlets are the kind most of us are the most used to, while
on-wall outlets (more often called surface-mount or surface-run) are
commonly found in industrial environments for mounting on concrete and
brick walls:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/metallic-commercial-electrical-outlet-on-wall-1824429674

I've also seen "on-wall outlet" used to refer to 4-to-8-outlet extenders
that fit over existing 2-outlet faceplates, like this:
  https://smile.amazon.com/GE-Adapter-Outlets-Bathroom-50759/dp/B0009HKEXM

Neither use of "on-wall" seems common in the industry for electrical
outlets; I don't find it in product listings.  "In-wall" seems pretty
common in product listings for stuff that used to only be available as
on-wall dongles, like USB charging ports.  Usage example (without the
hyphen because marketers hate hyphens for some reason):

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonCommercial-White-4-Pack-Wall-Charger/dp/B082Q26GDV