[Ads-l] "kickstand" is a verb?

Mon Sep 20 19:49:40 UTC 2021

>From the NYTimes

The authors hypothesize this highly complex skeleton helps keep the sponge
anchored in the soft sediments of the seafloor, which could be excavated by
the whirling vortices. “The sponge could be kickstanded,” Dr. Weaver said.

When I asked Mr. Google about the verb "kickstand" he got apologetic and
asked if he could interest me in the noun instead.

I suppose the thought here is that a stand holds something up, and if it is
kicked away it falls, as these sponges would fall if the mud they grow on
were to be washed away by whirling vortices of water.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851