[Ads-l] New s-word idiom

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Apr 12 12:56:25 UTC 2022

Disclosure: I am a totally repressed middle-aged WASP woman.

I learned from my adult children that to "rail" is a term for
intercourse, though my daughter-in-law thought it more specifically
denoted anal intercourse. (Yes, I blanched during this conversation.)

I spotted the use of this verb in Becky Chambers' _The Galaxy and the
Ground Within_. (Nope, I don't have a page #.) The act denoted to me
wasn't entirely clear to me as it involved 3 aliens (IIRC).

This conversation came up because here in Worcester we have a hockey
team: The Railers, and evidently the team name has a particular
connotation for those with this verb in their lexicon.

---Amy West