[Ads-l] Legal phrase: dark patterns

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Apr 26 19:40:58 UTC 2022

I don't think of this as a legal phrase; it's a UX term, generally agreed to have been coined in August 2010 by Harry Brignull. Here's his own essay on the subject, from 2011:

https://alistapart.com/article/dark-patterns-deception-vs.-honesty-in-ui-design/

There's been a hell of a lot written on dark patterns in the last few years.

Jesse Sheidlower