[Ads-l] Source-Goal Confusion online

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 27 15:57:56 UTC 2022

Oops, as Betty Birner just pointed out to me offline, I'd misparsed Geoff's
original example.  I actually share Jon's intuition--there's no problem in
Geoff's example for me because it really *does* involve swapping OLD (the
red meat) for NEW (the salmon), so swapping out, not swapping in.  The
example I posted from A Man Called Ove, "Every winter he drags down an old
diesel generator that he swapped at a rummage sale for a gramophone",
involves swapping NEW (the diesel generator) for OLD (the gramophone), and
so is swapping in.  Either way, keeping the particles would help.

LH