[Ads-l] Antedating of "Home Plate"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 8 03:04:58 UTC 2022

Not just a hit. There are walk-off walks, walk-off hit batsmen, walk-off
wild pitches or passed balls (I remember one of the former from a playoff
game, although before the term "walk-off" would have been used, but here's
one from last week:
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1555283169582235648), walk-off
errors, walk-off balks, and in principle (although I can't recall any)
walk-off catcher's interference.  I saw a walk-off steal of home by Junior
Gilliam of the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field once--again, before the
term was extant.  Yes, it was a while back.

LH