[Ads-l] Antedating of "Home Plate"

Thu Aug 11 13:06:44 UTC 2022

I have heard "walk-off" attributed to Sparky Lyle, a "closer" active in the
1970s -- and before and after -- and a noted phrase-maker.  After the pitch
has been made, as the winning run is scoring, all the pitcher can do is
walk off the mound.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851