[Ads-l] Antedating of "Jinx, v."

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 8 18:25:53 UTC 2022

Not earlier, but “jinksed” as a verb a short time later.

The Saturday Evening Post, Volume 182, Number 48, May 28, 1910, page 5.

The Naïve Mr. Dasher – Story of a Baseball Jinks, by Allen Sangree.

[Start Excerpt] “It wouldn’t be hard to put a jinks on this club,” he told himself confidently.  “There’s a dozen of ‘em scared t’ death of a wagonload of empty barrels.  Miller – he’s th’ limit, McGuigan’s a nut himself.  By gad, I’d like t’ do it; old gold-digger’d never know – get ‘em jinksed – set ‘em down a couple o’ games.[End Excerpt]

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuo.ark:/13960/t2j70302x&view=1up&seq=79&skin=2021

From: Peter Reitan<mailto:pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 11:08 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Jinx, v."

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>

I have a lot of information on =93Jinks=94 and =93Jinx=94 that I have not p=
ut in a blog post yet.

I had not taken a close look at Jinx as a verb, but have taken a quick look=
 after seeing these comments.

=93Jinx=94 is almost certainly, ultimately from an old play or song or char=
acter, =93Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines,=94 as noted by Barry Popik (p=
erhaps others) long ago, I believe.

Jinx, Hoodo, Mascot were all common in baseball for bad luck charms and a g=
ood luck charm.
=93Put the Jinx on=94 was in use from at least 1908 in baseball.

I=92ve now found =93Jinksed=94 as a verb from 1910, also in baseball.

The Buffalo Enquirer, March 10, 1910, page 8.
[Begin Excerpt] Unlucky Josh Devore. . . . =93Ask any of McGraw=92s men who=
 is the most unfortunate ball player in the business and Devore will be the=
 answer.  Josh says somebody has =91Jinksed=92 him. [End Excerpt]
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/107205766/the-buffalo-enquirer/

A 1915 example of =93jinxed=94.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram, August 18, 1915, page 16.
[Begin Excerpt] Fate has been unkind to Harry Howell, former Texas League u=
mpire.  His ambition to become a grand opera star seems to have jinxed him.=
 [End Excerpt]
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/107205310/fort-worth-star-telegram/

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986> for Window=