[Ads-l] Antedating of "Jinx, v."

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 8 18:07:59 UTC 2022

I have a lot of information on “Jinks” and “Jinx” that I have not put in a blog post yet.

I had not taken a close look at Jinx as a verb, but have taken a quick look after seeing these comments.

“Jinx” is almost certainly, ultimately from an old play or song or character, “Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines,” as noted by Barry Popik (perhaps others) long ago, I believe.

Jinx, Hoodo, Mascot were all common in baseball for bad luck charms and a good luck charm.
“Put the Jinx on” was in use from at least 1908 in baseball.

I’ve now found “Jinksed” as a verb from 1910, also in baseball.

The Buffalo Enquirer, March 10, 1910, page 8.
[Begin Excerpt] Unlucky Josh Devore. . . . “Ask any of McGraw’s men who is the most unfortunate ball player in the business and Devore will be the answer.  Josh says somebody has ‘Jinksed’ him. [End Excerpt]
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/107205766/the-buffalo-enquirer/

A 1915 example of “jinxed”.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram, August 18, 1915, page 16.
[Begin Excerpt] Fate has been unkind to Harry Howell, former Texas League umpire.  His ambition to become a grand opera star seems to have jinxed him. [End Excerpt]
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/107205310/fort-worth-star-telegram/

From: Pete Morris<mailto:mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM>
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 3:41 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Jinx, v."

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Pete Morris <mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM>

Here's another cite, possibly 1912 or not long after.

Asked if it were true that a cross-eyed girl was a jinx to a player he=20
replied
"It takes less than a cross-eyed girl to jinx them  sometimes"

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Santa_Fe_Employes_Magazine/WnMhAQAAM=
AAJ?hl=3Den&gbpv=3D1&bsq=3D%22to+jinx%22&dq=3D%22to+jinx%22&printsec=3Dfron=
tcover

Just for clarity, is this a specific baseball term?  Or would jinx as a=20
verb in other
contexts count?  (I don't follow sport at all, and baseball is a=20
complete mystery to me)