[Ads-l] Definition of "Rookie" (Sports)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 12 00:35:09 UTC 2022

And it's even a bit more complicated--in MLB a player may qualify as a
rookie in their second year, provided they didn't play too many games in
their first year.  Or had too many at bats/plate appearances.  I forget how
it works, but it leads to controversies over whether this should really
count. There was also a lot of controversy over whether players (like
Ichiro Suzuki) who had extensive professional experience in Japanese
baseball leagues should count as rookies in their first year in MLB. Ichiro
did, and was in fact Rookie of the Year in his debut season with the
Mariners, as well as MVP, but some claimed he wasn't *really* a rookie, so
there's some uncertainty about the folk definition if not necessarily the
official designation.

LH