[Ads-l] American dream (et sim)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Aug 21 16:39:25 UTC 2022

This has been discussed here before, and in NYT today, as well as America's Dream.
On the latter see the book title from 1854 [1].

"American dream" appeared in a 1790 publication [2]

But in this instance, this was a British dream that having an American colony was a good idea.

P.49:
While the American dream; laſted, we were told that the growing population of that continent would create ſuch a ſyſtem of employment for our manufacturers and failors, that the proſperity of the mother country would be as boundleſs as the waſtes of her Tranſatlantic dominions ; viſions that faſcinated and deceived our miniſters, our parlia- ments, and the nation itſelf. ...

SG

[1] https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t9p27g755&view=1up&seq=2&skin=2021&q1=dream

[2] https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.a0005788617&view=1up&seq=49&skin=2021&q1=dream