[Ads-l] "snapdragon moment"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 22 14:50:28 UTC 2022

If we were to revive our Least Likely to Succeed category...
(but it's a great nonce expression if nothing else).

Here's Yankees' general manager Brian Cashman reflecting on the difference
between himself and his more laid-back manager Aaron Boone:

When Cashman decided to hire Boone, he saw potential in someone who
operates vastly different from himself. In Boone, Cashman sees a person
whose most noteworthy trait (even-keeledness) stands in opposition to
Cashman’s personal biggest professional weakness (running his mouth).

“You ever see that video of (former Royals
<https://theathletic.com/mlb/team/royals/> manager) Hal McRae going
friggin’ crazy?
<https://theathletic.com/319810/2018/04/20/dodd-twenty-five-years-later-those-who-were-there-remember-hal-mcraes-famous-rant/>”
Cashman asked in March 2022. “I probably would have had one of those
snapdragon moments if I were a manager. Like, I’m pretty cool, but if you
get me to a level, I will go.”

https://theathletic.com/3525984/2022/08/22/yankees-manager-aaron-boone/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=4903386

(You can find Hal McRae's celebrated 1993 going-friggin'-crazy snapdragon
moment at the link.)

LH