[Ads-l] "I say...Lusitani-ay"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 30 04:44:25 UTC 2022

books.google.com › books
<https://books.google.com/books?id=ZWpAAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA15&dq=were+men+of+iow-ay&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5pj62u35AhXFLFkFHX9ADdEQ6AF6BAgjEAI>
Adventures of the _Ojibbeway_ and _Ioway_ Indians in England, ... - Page 15
<https://books.google.com/books?id=ZWpAAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA15&dq=were+men+of+iow-ay&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK5pj62u35AhXFLFkFHX9ADdEQ6AF6BAgjEAI>
George Catlin
<https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&sa=X&biw=2560&bih=1222&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1800,cd_max:1899&tbm=bks&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22George+Catlin%22&ved=2ahUKEwjK5pj62u35AhXFLFkFHX9ADdEQ9Ah6BAgjEAU>
 · 1852

The Ojiaby are also known as the _Chippewa_ and the the IIoway_ are now
better known as the _Iowa_.

Amongst elderly colored people, such as the writer, the state of Iowa and
its university is known as "Ioway."
During Jim Crow, Southern states would pay to send black students to
Northern state universities, rather than admit them to the local state
universities. My other's sister nd several of my St. Louis friends. went to
"Ioway."

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain