[Ads-l] "I say...Lusitani-ay"

Charles C Rice charles.rice at LOUISIANA.EDU
Tue Aug 30 20:37:41 UTC 2022

There is a small town of Iowa (Eye-way or Eye-uh-way) Louisiana, outside Lake Charles, that has a notable black Mardi Gras run.

Clai Rice

Wilson wrote:
Amongst elderly colored people, such as the writer, the state of Iowa and its university is known as "Ioway."
During Jim Crow, Southern states would pay to send black students to Northern state universities, rather than admit them to the local state universities. My other's sister nd several of my St. Louis friends. went to "Ioway."