[Ads-l] Disagreement about AI and education: The college essay is dead (not dead)

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Dec 19 13:06:21 UTC 2022

Are we sure the Seuss-style poem is original to the AI? I asked it to write me a poem about Christmas and it spit out Moore's "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (without attribution).

I also asked it a slew of word and phrase origin questions, and while the natural language abilities were impressive, the factual basis for its answers were a mixed to poor bag. I'm writing up the results and will post it to my Substack in a couple of days. [ https://wordorigins.substack.com/ ]( https://wordorigins.substack.com/ )

That said, the AI is pretty amazing in what it can do, and I'm sure it will rapidly improve as people use it and it gets training feedback.

And Marche is being clickbaity in his essay. The Rhet/Comp folks are on top of this and coming up with strategies to deal with students using the AI. It may even prove to be a useful pedagogical tool when it comes to teaching writing.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ben Zimmer" <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2022 6:06pm
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Disagreement about AI and education: The college essay is dead (not dead)

That bit in the Slate piece links to a tweet screenshotting ChatGPT's
Seuss-style history of London -- judge for yourself:

https://twitter.com/punk6529/status/1598422898166865936

This Twitter thread collects a few of my ChatGPT prompts from when it went
public: "Write a history of crosswords in the style of a conspiracy
theorist," "Tell me about Occam's razor but get increasingly cranky,"
"Write a story about Mothra joining the cast of 'Jersey Shore.'" I was
impressed with the results (and it really does "spit them out").

https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/1600586047221600260

Try it out yourself: https://chat.openai.com