[Ads-l] Antedating of "Speciesism" (Corrected Email)

Tue Dec 20 01:37:08 UTC 2022

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> Terrific find, Garson.  Did you actually search for "specie-ism"
> or did that come up when you searched for "speciesism" or
> for "species-ism"?

Thanks, Fred. I noticed that you posted a “Corrected Email” that led
me to think of misspellings of “speciesism”. I knew that you would
have performed a thorough job searching for the standard spelling. So
I deliberately searched for a misspelling. Also, I thought the early
version might be hyphenated. So I searched for “specieism” and
“specie-ism”.

There were too many false matches in newspapers.com, so I restricted
the range to 1960-1980. This allowed easy manual review.

Garson