[Ads-l] Antedating of "Speciesism" (Corrected Email)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 20 03:05:56 UTC 2022

Isn't it a form of specieism to assume a human came up with the concept first?
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2022 5:37:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Speciesism" (Corrected Email)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> Terrific find, Garson.  Did you actually search for "specie-ism"
> or did that come up when you searched for "speciesism" or
> for "species-ism"?

Thanks, Fred. I noticed that you posted a =E2=80=9CCorrected Email=E2=80=9D=
 that led
me to think of misspellings of =E2=80=9Cspeciesism=E2=80=9D. I knew that yo=
u would
have performed a thorough job searching for the standard spelling. So
I deliberately searched for a misspelling. Also, I thought the early
version might be hyphenated. So I searched for =E2=80=9Cspecieism=E2=80=9D =
and
=E2=80=9Cspecie-ism=E2=80=9D.

There were too many false matches in newspapers.com, so I restricted
the range to 1960-1980. This allowed easy manual review.

Garson