[Ads-l] Antedating of "Speciesism" (Corrected Email)

Tue Dec 20 15:02:24 UTC 2022

Peter Reitan wrote: Isn't it a form of specieism to assume a human
came up with the concept first?

I only searched in newspapers.com; hence, there was a selection bias.
The material in newspapers.com in the 1960s and 1970s was written by
humans (presumably). If intelligent dolphins or extraterrestrials came
up with a comparable term at an earlier time then my search would not
have revealed it.

Peter’s inquiry raises the larger question of whether word coinage by
a non-human entity is possible. So I asked the non-human entity
ChatGPT to attempt to coin a word. I misspelled "word" as "work" in my
prompt. The results reminded me of Samuel Johnson’s remark: “like a
dog's walking on his hinder legs. It is not done well; but you are
surprised to find it done at all”.

Prompt: Would you please coin a new work meaning speciesism?

[Begin response from Chat GPT]
Sure, I can propose a new term for speciesism. How about "speciesismus"?
[End response from Chat GPT]

Prompt: please try again

[Begin response from Chat GPT]
Sure, here are a few more options for new terms to describe speciesism:
"speciesistia"
"specieism"
"speciephobia"
"specieschauvinism"
These are just suggestions, and it's important to note that the
English language is constantly evolving and new words are being coined
all the time. Ultimately, the term that becomes widely accepted and
used will depend on the societal and cultural context in which it is
used.
[End response from ChatGPT]

Garson