[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ham" (Telegraphy / Radio Meaning)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 24 16:59:18 UTC 2022

See also the Wikipedia entry for "etymology of ham radio," which includes
cites for the telegraphic kind of "ham operator" back to 1881:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/49016206/a-talk-with-a-telegrapher-about/
"KNIGHTS OF THE KEY. A Talk With a Telegrapher About Impending Troubles --
Will They Strike?"
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 27, 1881, p. 4, col. 1
"Reporter -- Would a strike be successful? 'I believe if it becomes
necessary it will succeed. The only point we have to contend with is 'ham'
operators, -- men without ability to break stone on a road, who float into
the service, under the head of cheap labor and lose more money to the
company by making blunders than they can make in five years.' "