[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ham" (Telegraphy / Radio Meaning)

Mon Dec 26 02:12:39 UTC 2022

I notice that the poem Fred sent us to document "ham" opens with the lines
I am the wandering Ham.
I know no home, I know no roost.
To me each knock is one more boost.

This seems to be an instance of another way of expressing the thought
"there's no such thing as bad publicity".

In 2001, it seems, I took part in a discussion here of that expression.  At
that time, I wrote
"This is one of those expressions that are so highly variable in form that
they
are very difficult to trace.  I associate it with show business, and in that
racket, publicity is always good.  The expression can be phrased either as
an
affirmative or a negative: "there's no such thing as bad publicity" (or a
variant) as opposed to "all publicity is good publicity" / "every knock is a
boost" (or other variants).

I remember, c. 1970, Sam Silverman, a boxing promoter based in Boston,
being quoted as saying "every knock is a boost", and I rather doubt that he
was coining the phrase.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851